The PineCrest Inn originally built in 1753 has a long and storied
life. A single family residence for most of its life, the home was
converted into an Inn by Joe and Jane Carlozzi in 1993. Matt and Amy
Mattingly took over operation in 2005 and have welcomed over 24,000
guests to Gorham.
The home as it stands today is the result of an amazing show of
community pride and patriotism.
In June of 1825 a fire erupted burning
the home and most of its out building to the ground. According to local
lore, the fire was set after a servant girl wasn't allowed to visit a
traveling circus. While the family was away, she set fire to the home.
On July 4th, 1825, Flag Day, the men and woman of Gorham gathered and
in one single day and a huge herculean effort, they re framed the
entire house in one day. In lue of the towns Flag Day celebration, they
opted to help out a citizen and their show of community and patriotism.
The PineCrest Inn was originally a single family residence
built in 1753 by a prominent local family. In June of 1825 the property was burned to
the ground. The entire
property and barns were destroyed.
property was the home to the local physician, the town of Gorham came together on July 4th
of 1825 and reframed the main house. Each year the town celebrated independence
day and in lue of the celebration that year, they town fathers decided that a
good old house raising was in order.
worked all day while the ladies of the town brought breakfast and lunch for the
workers and served them under a tall oak tree across the street.
this seems like a town pulling together to help one of their own, it is our
opinion that the workers were probably everyone who owed the good doctor money.
Since in 1825 payments for medical services were often in the form of a trade,
this makes a great deal of sense.
property stands today as it was rebuilt in 1825 minus a couple of features
like a veranda and large barn.
Although the home changed hands numerous times over the years an odd familiarity exists between almost every owner. They were
musicians, singers and even a family that made baseball bats and puzzles, each one with some creative blood flowing in their veins. Some of their
bats are still found today and we even have located some of the original wooden puzzles.
interesting fact is that almost every owner of the property has had something to do
with music. Going all the way to the original construction in 1753. Owners
brought in traveling musicians who offered concerts and even in the mid 1800’s
the owner was known as singer who often entertained folks around town. Even
into the mid 1900’s and later many locals still recall getting piano and violin lessons
here in the house.Even a choral lesson or two.
300 years after the property was first constructed, you can still hear great music
every Thursday and Friday night in our main dining room and out of the side lawn all summer
PineCrest was converted to its present form in 1993 by a local couple. Joe and
Jane Carlozzi still live in the area as does their daughter Linda and Ron Brooks who took over for Joe and Jane on thier retirement from Innkeeping.